The Presidency has insisted that the dreaded terrorist group, Boko Haram has been degraded despite the resurgence of some attacks by the group.
This was the position taken the federal government in a statement released by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media Publicity on Tuesday night.
“The position of the Nigerian government is that the Boko Haram terrorism has been degraded and defeated. The real Boko Haram we know is defeated.
“What we have now is a mixture of remnants of the Boko Haram, fugitive criminals and the Islam in Maghreb together with West African terrorists bonding together. This is a fall out of the collapse of the Libyan State, and from farther away, of the Islamic State in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. They are taking advantage of our porous Sahelian borders.
“As a consequence of these international gangs, we have seen an increase of trans-border crimes and the proliferation of small arms in the Lake Chad Basin area. Outrages are common in Niger, Mali, Chad and Cameroon.”
While noting that Nigerian being a large country covering nearly one million square kilometres is roughly equivalent to the size of France and Germany put together, Shehu said the borders which are porous in the neighbouring Sahel-Sahara region, and ungoverned areas have provide haven for terrorists’ occupation and training.
“Without the tremendous efforts of our armed forces and the joint operations by the Nigeria-led Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF, formed by the countries of the Lake Chad Basin, this single problem of illegal arms flow would have been much worse.
“At the moment, the Nigerian government under President Muhammadu Buhari has made the country safer than it met it. In 2015 when he took power, Boko Haram terrorism was active in nearly half the number of states in the country. They controlled a territory the size of Belgium, with a flag and systems of administration and taxation of their own. Emirs and Chiefs had fled their domains along with hundreds of thousands of ordinary citizens. Such is no more; they have been taken from them.”
He further stated that the terrorists at the moment have been confined to the remote, rural agrarian areas of Borno State and pockets of outrages in Adamawa and Yobe States.
“As the situation develops, our fantastic armed forces are changing their tactics. Just recently, they launched “Super Camps.” The essence of this is to act proactively and respond quickly to the changing nature of terrorism.”
On the additional support the federal government is getting from friendly countries across Europe, the United States and the Middle East, he said the government is spending large sums of money in weapons procurement to keep the military in good fighting shape.
“While the military arsenal is not something you pay for and get, requiring mostly long-time orders, weapons will come in accordance with the terms of contracts. This country is expecting the commencement of the delivery of Super Tucano fighter jets, very effective in this kind of warfare, beginning next year from the United States.
“The administration has embarked on an ambitious electronic/digital border monitoring scheme to curtail the porosity of the borders and, working with the UN agencies, the World Bank, the Islamic Development Bank, donor agencies and friendly countries, has started providing solutions to backwardness in development and poverty in the sub-region because at the very heart of recruitment schemes of the terrorists lies the issue of poverty.”
Citing an instance where few weeks ago, the administration inaugurated the Northeast Development Commission, to fast track development and poverty eradication in the affected areas, he reiterated that the Buhari administration is strongly encouraged by successes recorded so far by our armed forces and the MNJTF, and is optimistic that in the same way as the military defeated the Boko Haram, so would the ISWA terrorism be defeated,
#FreeSowore: Atiku, Others Reacts After Sowore Arrest As Pictures Of His Damaged Car Surface
AAC Presidential Candidate and CEO of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore has been apprehended by the DSS – Department of State Security at the early hours of Saturday.
So many reactions have trail the arrest and this includes another Presidential Candidate and other political bigwigs.
PDP Presidential Candidate, Abubakar Atiku said:
“Freedom of speech is not only constitutionally guaranteed, it is the substructure of our democracy. These kidnappings in the guise of arrests stands condemned.”
Mrs Oby Ezekwesili Said:
“All well-meaning Nigerians should stand with YeleSowore and defend his constitutional right and freedom to protest any matter of Governance that worries him.
“Mr Sowore’s convening of Citizens to protest Poor Governance – via #RevolutionNow- is Constitutionally guaranteed.”
“If our NGRPresident MBuhari & FG AsoRock are not completely out of touch with the reality of distress of majority of Citizens of this country, they would handle YeleSowore‘s right to convene #RevolutionNow wisely.
“Many of us his fellow #OfficeOfTheCitizen stand with him.”
Howvever, a journalist recognized as Fox Meek just obtained photos of Sowore’s car that was reportedly bashed by Department of State Services operatives during the arrest of the human rights activist and pro-democracy campaign as shared by a Nigerian journalist, Abiodun Sanusi.
According to an eyewitness report, DSS officers hit the Lexus Jeep of Sowore ‘like kidnappers would do to make way for themselves.’
Mr. Sowore was picked up at his apartment at about 1am this morning and he managed to post a distress tweet at exactly 1:25 am.
The security operatives seized Sowore’s mobile phone when he attempted to raise alarm over the invasion of his residence.
The journalist wrote;
“This is Omoyele Sowore ‘s car batched by State Security Service DSS during is illegal abduction (State Kidnap) at about 01:15am over the night.
Sowore and his brother who drove the car were assaulted by DSS officers. His brother was injured in the head and in the leg.”
We Stopped Him From Harming Himself – Presidency Revealed The Reason For Sowore Arrest
Lauretta Onochie who is President Muhammadu Buhari’s social media assistant has revealed the reason for his arrest. She said the DSS -Department of State Security was saving Omoyele Sowore from burning himself.
Through her official twitter handle, Mrs Onochie said this on Saturday as responses accompany Mr Sowore’s detention, a former candidate for the presidency.
Early Saturday, The AAC presidential nominee was taken into custody in his house and his phone picked up when he was about to alert his relations about the invasion.
It is thought that the arrest is linked to the #RevolutionNow protests that are set to begin on August 5th nationwide.
Onochie, who has been severally involved in false claims, alleged that Sowore had threatened to set himself on fire in protest to President Buhari’s administration.
Lauretta Onochie responded to a tweet saying:
“This Is What DSS Saved Sowore from. (See image) With talks about setting himself ablaze, it’s in order for the security operatives, whose role it is to safeguard both lives and properties, to take him into custody to prevent him from harming himself and get him the help he needs,”
This Is What DSS Saved Sowore from. (See image)
With talks about setting himself ablaze, it's in order for the security operatives, whose role it is to safeguard both lives and properties, to take him into custody to prevent him from harming himself and get him the help he needs. pic.twitter.com/4B2uIRzMMq
— Lauretta Onochie (@Laurestar) August 3, 2019
Former education minister, Oby Ezekwesili and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential candidate in the February 23 election, Atiku Abubakar has joined several others in calling for the release of Sowore.