Ethiopian Army boss gunned down by own bodyguard in coup attempt
Connect with us

Headlines

Ethiopian Army boss gunned down by own bodyguard in coup attempt

Published

on

General-Seare-Mekonnen

In a failed coup in Ethiopia, the bodyguard of the chief of staff of the Ethiopian army, Seare Mekonnen, killed his boss in the capital, Addis Ababa.

Other that were killed by the coup plotters were the regional governor of Amhara, Ambachew Mekonnen and his  senior adviser, Ezez Wasie.

The Army boss died while trying to prevent a coup attempt against the administration in Ethiopia’s northern Amhara region, alongside another officer.

Due to the failed attempt to take over governance, the government has announced that the situation is under control after arrests were made.

The prime minister, Abiy Ajmed on a television announcement urge Ethiopians to unite in the face of “evil” forces set on dividing the country.

Meanwhile, the US state department has warned its staff in Addis Ababa to stay inside.

Recall that Abiy has moved to end political repression by releasing political prisoners since his election last year, removing bans on political parties and prosecuting officials accused of human rights abuses.

It was gathered that Seare was killed on Saturday evening at his residence along with another general, Gezai Abera, by the bodyguard who is now in custody.

The prime minister’s press office noted that the attack could be linked to the assassination of the governor of Amhara a few hours earlier in the region’s capital, Bahir Dar.

Ambachew was killed at a meeting in his office along with Wasie, while the region’s attorney general was wounded.

Lake Ayalew has now been appointed as the region’s acting governor.

What is yet to be ascertained now is if Amhara’s regional security chief, Brig-Gen Asaminew Tsige, has been arrested after he was accused by the prime minister’s office of plotting the coup attempt.

Please share this info from NIGERIA NEWS, it is VERY important for all
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A senior editor at NIGERIA NEWS who loves writing complemented with gripping images. A graduate of Mass communication at LASU. I can be contacted at mojeed@nigerianewsng.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

BBNaija: Housemates express surprise over Seyi’s decision not to use his veto card

Published

on

Seyi

Reactions have continued to pour in over the refusal of Big Brother Naija Housemate, Seyi Awolowo not using his veto card after being nominated for eviction in the reality show.

Seyi, the grandson of Obafemi Awolowo shocked the housemates over the decision.

Khafi, who expressed her shock over the decision said she voted Seyi knowing fully well that he has the opportunity to save himself.

“I was very shocked. I don’t think anybody was expecting that. I was even more shocked by that was part of the reason I nominated him because I felt he could save himself.

“I really think he is going to down in Big Brother history. Some people said maybe it’s a strategy, but he is really up for eviction. But if it’s a strategy, then it’s a very risky strategy.

“I saw him, when he had twenty seconds to decide, I saw him taking a deep breath and he was just shocked. He was just looking around and he looked at me and I look at myself like please don’t pick me and he just return the coin like I return the power and everybody’s face was like wow. Everybody was shocked like what has he just done.

“And I think a lot of people respect him for it. I do respect him for that like he could have put anybody under the bus like I am grateful he didn’t.”

Seyi has therefore been banned by Big Brother from participating in the veto power game of chance.

Watch the reactions of other housemates in the video below.

Please share this info from NIGERIA NEWS, it is VERY important for all
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Headlines

Ministerial List: Senator Orji Uzor Kalu Reveals Why Buhari Is Yet To Release the List

Published

on

Orji uzor Kalu

Orji Uzor Kalu, the Senate Chief Whip, has ensured Nigerians that President Muhammadu Buhari has worked hard to guarantee that the ministerial list arrives at the Senate house on time.

He indicated this after meeting with Buhari over the weekend after the National Assembly leadership.

Addressing journalists in Abuja, the ex governor of Abia State said after the conference, the management of the National Assembly was persuaded that Buhari is working around the clock to get the list of ministerial appointees to the Senate on time.

He said Buhari explained to them that, before sending the ministerial list to the Legislature for review and validation, he required wider scrutiny.

Kalu said:

“President Buhari is making all efforts to get the ministerial list to the National Assembly. At least, I was in the room at the meeting.

“It is not good to misquote the president. I am sure that the list would be ready very soon. Sooner than you people think.

“The president said that he is making a wider consultation and that in the last tenure, he was just handed over the list by party people to appoint.

“He said that he is making a background check on everyone of them to make sure they are people he can work with.”

Please share this info from NIGERIA NEWS, it is VERY important for all
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading
Advertisement

contact us

email for nigerianews

NigeriaNews_net

Advertisement

Trending