To President Muhammadu Buhari, the idea of grooming a successor is “funny” as he states he has no plan to introduce a successor to the presidential election in 2023. He also accused Nigerian youths of “taking things for granted.”
The president said this while responding to one of the demands produced by academic progressive representatives who met him on Tuesday at the State House, Abuja.
Dr. Bolariwa Bolaji, the team’s spokesman, had previously encouraged Buhari to groom a successor who will take over in 2023.
“We are delighted having you and in another four years you would want to go and rest – then who takes over from you? We are suggesting that you bring vibrant youths among people who have shown interest, bring them in so that you start saddling them with responsibilities and you will be watching over these next four years so that when you want to leave the circle, you would have vibrant youths to hand over to.
“This is one of the ways the gains of this government can be made to be continues – so that there will be continuity in what you are doing.’’
However, President Buhari said he would rather stay away from identifying anybody as his successor so as not to create problem for such a person.
The president said:
“To me this is very funny. I think if I identify anybody I’d create more problems for him or for her.
“So, I’d rather keep my mouth shut. Let those who would want to be president try as much as I did. And I believe that those who are interested know that I tried three times.
“And the first time, I thank God and technology, PVC. Before, they just went on the television and they read the results. They said anybody who disagreed should go to court.
“And most of my supporters are looking for next day’s meal. They don’t have money to give to lawyers. So I said, ‘God dey’. So, the first time God and technology came along, PVC, they couldn’t rig the election, so I won.”
“I tried to work hard but I think you have a lot more to do you as intellectuals so that you correctly document Nigeria’s political development. It’s very important for the next generation.
“A lot of our young chaps are taking things for granted. Imagine to contest election three times ending up in Supreme Court three times. It needs a lot of conviction you know, and hard work.
“But people take success for granted. They say, ‘Ah, he’s the president’. They think I just closed my eyes and I got it?”
#FreeSowore: Atiku, Others Reacts After Sowore Arrest As Pictures Of His Damaged Car Surface
AAC Presidential Candidate and CEO of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore has been apprehended by the DSS – Department of State Security at the early hours of Saturday.
So many reactions have trail the arrest and this includes another Presidential Candidate and other political bigwigs.
PDP Presidential Candidate, Abubakar Atiku said:
“Freedom of speech is not only constitutionally guaranteed, it is the substructure of our democracy. These kidnappings in the guise of arrests stands condemned.”
Mrs Oby Ezekwesili Said:
“All well-meaning Nigerians should stand with YeleSowore and defend his constitutional right and freedom to protest any matter of Governance that worries him.
“Mr Sowore’s convening of Citizens to protest Poor Governance – via #RevolutionNow- is Constitutionally guaranteed.”
“If our NGRPresident MBuhari & FG AsoRock are not completely out of touch with the reality of distress of majority of Citizens of this country, they would handle YeleSowore‘s right to convene #RevolutionNow wisely.
“Many of us his fellow #OfficeOfTheCitizen stand with him.”
Howvever, a journalist recognized as Fox Meek just obtained photos of Sowore’s car that was reportedly bashed by Department of State Services operatives during the arrest of the human rights activist and pro-democracy campaign as shared by a Nigerian journalist, Abiodun Sanusi.
According to an eyewitness report, DSS officers hit the Lexus Jeep of Sowore ‘like kidnappers would do to make way for themselves.’
Mr. Sowore was picked up at his apartment at about 1am this morning and he managed to post a distress tweet at exactly 1:25 am.
The security operatives seized Sowore’s mobile phone when he attempted to raise alarm over the invasion of his residence.
The journalist wrote;
“This is Omoyele Sowore ‘s car batched by State Security Service DSS during is illegal abduction (State Kidnap) at about 01:15am over the night.
Sowore and his brother who drove the car were assaulted by DSS officers. His brother was injured in the head and in the leg.”
We Stopped Him From Harming Himself – Presidency Revealed The Reason For Sowore Arrest
Lauretta Onochie who is President Muhammadu Buhari’s social media assistant has revealed the reason for his arrest. She said the DSS -Department of State Security was saving Omoyele Sowore from burning himself.
Through her official twitter handle, Mrs Onochie said this on Saturday as responses accompany Mr Sowore’s detention, a former candidate for the presidency.
Early Saturday, The AAC presidential nominee was taken into custody in his house and his phone picked up when he was about to alert his relations about the invasion.
It is thought that the arrest is linked to the #RevolutionNow protests that are set to begin on August 5th nationwide.
Onochie, who has been severally involved in false claims, alleged that Sowore had threatened to set himself on fire in protest to President Buhari’s administration.
Lauretta Onochie responded to a tweet saying:
“This Is What DSS Saved Sowore from. (See image) With talks about setting himself ablaze, it’s in order for the security operatives, whose role it is to safeguard both lives and properties, to take him into custody to prevent him from harming himself and get him the help he needs,”
This Is What DSS Saved Sowore from. (See image)
With talks about setting himself ablaze, it's in order for the security operatives, whose role it is to safeguard both lives and properties, to take him into custody to prevent him from harming himself and get him the help he needs. pic.twitter.com/4B2uIRzMMq
— Lauretta Onochie (@Laurestar) August 3, 2019
Former education minister, Oby Ezekwesili and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential candidate in the February 23 election, Atiku Abubakar has joined several others in calling for the release of Sowore.